Sunday, August 2, 2020

CN Woodchip Car - 879 000-series Updated 3D Model


I'm glad to announce CN 879000-series woodchip car model has been redrawn completely for scratch and soon to be ready for a first 3D print test.


Improved design build upon what was learned from 878000-series, meaning a one part complete shell including brake details on the underframe, separately printed car ends with platforms and brake details (housing, chain, rod and fulcrum).




The weight will also be concealed under a 1mm thick styrene floor into a recessed space in the shell. I know this is a compromise, but were aren't building a real 1:1 car which has the correct weight to track well on rails, but a plastic shell that needs additional weight. I've sacrificed the underframe because I believe most people prefer a neatly rendered visible interior in an open car than a perfectly prototypical steel structure under the floor. Certainly, if this car was in O scale instead of HO, that would be another story.


Among various differences from my first model of this series are strengthened car ends. My pre-production model suffered from breakage there and I felt it was a design flaw. Now, the end bottoms are an integral part of the one-part shell, helping to align the ends but also providing more material to support the buffer beams that protrudes.


I also added molded on stirrups. I know they aren't for everybody, but I do believe many will find them easier to work with. However, they can be easily upgraded with metal ones easily.


4 comments:

  1. The drafting alone on this is so very impressive. It's very enjoyable to follow the evolution of this project.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a strange learning process to be honest. Limitations are real and like any modeller, I have the tendency to push the limits of the machine. Reality is 3D printing can be a capricious process as you know so well, and like any tool, you must learn to harness its power and accept its limits. I'm starting to have much more respect for the old shake-the-box kits. I'm impressed by what Athearn, Roundhouse, Varney and English were able to do. I'm also having better appreciation for the huge shift in paradigm that occurred when Life-Like launched their Proto 2000 range. And honestly, I'm humbled by Pierre Oliver and many other crafstmen that can make so precise work.

      Delete