Wednesday, July 31, 2024

St. Louis RPM Post Mortem

Two weekends ago was St. Louis RPM held in Collinsville, IL. Featuring over 80 exhibit tables of exquisitely crafted models made by participants, about has much of space allocated to vendors and 10 clinics, it was both a small and a big event. Small because it doesn’t compare to your typical large train show and large, because it is quite something to see so many people interested in prototype modelling gathering together in such a place. With more than 900 visitors, it was just the right size to see a lot, yet create that nice small event ambiance where you can take time to meet and talk to people.

Only a fraction of what was on display

Among the vendors, 3D printing was as expected, becoming quite a trend. It was interesting to see the models and how some companies are pushing the limits with what could be considered hobby grade printers. The technology is certainly evolving quite fast and this is opening doors for more prototypes to find their way on our layouts and workbenches. I lucky enough to get a free 3D Central 50ft boxcar printed by Matt Hermann and am looking forward to putting it together.

These silos and elevator equipments really make a difference

Another fascinating aspect of this 3D printing mania was the number of businesses offering prototypically correct grain bins, silos, conveyors and other accessories. Not so long ago, you had only a few Walthers and Rix items, most of them relatively coarse in details, to replicate elevators. Now, you can find everything that can be seen in the real world.

Scott Thornton's clinic pushed the envelope.

I also had the great pleasure to present my clinic about extreme weathering on Saturday. Most clinics I attended where well put together and interesting. Clark Propst made us laugh with his cheap $1 toy train kitbashing projects, Scott Thorton proposed a series of interesting novel ways to model mundane things like asphalt or corn fields and I recall that presentation from a gentleman going through his process of modelling a slice of Appalachia in N scale.

St. Louis station is almost a roman cathedral!

In terms of purchases, I kept it simple since I have more than enough at home. That said, I got a few old diesel detailing parts that are useful for kitbashing projects. However, the biggest purchase was a Loksound Bowser equipped Green Bay & Western red Alco C430 that I got for a fair price. I always loved how C430 just look like a slightly more brutish version of their little brothers C424 and C425. I kind of like its appearance and since I'm currently modelling a few American models right now, it was neat to discover WNYP did had red C430s at some point. I'm currently musing over altering the GBW scheme to match the ex-Morristown & Erie one, which is quite close. That would make a second WNYP locomotive on my roster to serve the switching layout.

French Canadian 18th century house in Missouri

It was certainly a long drive through Northeastern and Appalachia to get to this RPM, but the people's warmth and ambiance was well worth the effort. It was also an excellent excuse to visit many different states and cities along the way, discovering for the first time areas I’ve heard of and seen modelled for decades.

This could have been on Tom Johnson's layout

It was also weird to aimlessly drive on some roads only to discover I knew most town names and could make a detour to some local railroading spots I once mused over. I ended up discovering the area around Gauley, WV, the Erie line near Corry, PA, or even Maitland Junction in Springfield, OH. Isn't it fascinating to be in foreign lands and yet, feel you have known exact places as if it was your backyard! I also took a few pictures of covered hoppers and grain elevators, having the pleasure to discover these towns so well modelled by Tom Johnson.

Even when you leave, inspiration pop up in your rear mirror...

Once again, a big thanks to Scott Thornton and Lonnie for inviting me. You were the most gracious hosts I could have hoped to meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment