Monday, September 24, 2018

CN Woodchip Gondola - A New Prototype


Hi folks! I'm glad to report that my CN woodchip gondola project is back on track. This time, I'm doing the 879000 series (the 1974-built variety) which will be 3D printed on Shapeways.


Having learned a lot from my earlier experiments with 878000 cars (1982-built CN Rail version), I'm able to produce a better model that will be easier to assemble but also far more accurate. In that regard, I want to salute the excellent field work Justin Babcock did in surveying a real car and providing accurate dimensions and a load of useful pictures. Thanks to him, every welded seams and a fairly accurate underframe will make this model much more interesting than my first version. Also, interior details inside the gondola will be visible.


I don't know exactly when the prototype will be ready, but about 75% is done and it could be completed at a steady pace. Decals will have to be drawn and printed to accompany these cars. I have some ideas...



On a positive note, I was extremely happy to discover Shapeways costs have lowered to the point these cars should cost you the same price as a quality freight car. If you had trucks, wheels, small details like grabs, brakewheel and decals, I expect something the $50 range, which is quite interesting for people wanting to build fleet. My goal is to create a model that will be easy to assemble and that can be further decorated according to the modeller's tastes and patience. Coupler pocket will accept Kadee couplers and S-2 Barber 100-ton trucks by Rapido were used to design the bolster. To have a good model ready for paint, one will only have to install a limited amount of grabirons and cement the brakewheel and a few ladders (probably Tichy ones to make our lives easier). Basic brake components will be provided and it is up to you to add the piping.


When car 879000 will be done, at some point I'll upgrade the 878000 3D models a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment