Sunday, August 25, 2024

Another Hopper... Another Dream...

The QSSR Mark VI brings me joy in a new way. This layout isn't great nor flamboyant nor original. Once everything two days, I set a random operating session, moving around cars following a match plan devised on the spot. A few cars are spotted, some catch my fancy, I take them to the workbench and start to work on them. When a step is completed, I screw back the trucks and they are ready to run again for a while until I add another layer of details or weathering. No need to finish everything, I let the inspiration of the moment define what I will do next. Fortunately, keeping it simple means that even if I lack focus, I have so little projects to complete that I can't stray very far. 

In my folders, I have that group of covered hopper pictures that I downloaded years ago from rrpicturearchives.com, my favourite prototype website. All have one theme in common; they were all shot in Ste. Rosalie and Farnham in Quebec, back when MMA was still a thing. This collection of ragtag cars brings infinite inspiration and some cars just begs to be modelled. One of them is that nice DWC yellow hopper with spartan lettering and data. It is one of many cool pictures shot by Richard Marchi.

DWC hopper in Ste. Rosalie (Credit: Richards Marchi)

I find great solace in modelling these unassuming subject... Krylon paint from a can, an old Intermountain kit, pieced together decals... Nothing classy, almost prototypical, genuine character and full of personality.

A fun and rewarding project

This is a great way to enjoy the hobby in an achievable, meaningful and successful way. It is both whimsical and sensible at the same time, which fits my needs and personality for these times when I don't feel like replicating a specific railroad.

1 comment: