Tuesday, August 13, 2024

QSSR Mark VI - Stop the Bashing

Working on the Atlas station has been a fascinating experience. It started as an icon of model railroading then took a new, or should I say improved, identity by acquiring a new footprint and clearer functions. Then, that new roof line changed everything… I could detail my process, but at this point, I want to share some discussion snippets taken out of a discussion with Chris Mears. At the end of the day, the goal wasn’t really the station itself, but the fun and quality time derived from working on it and experimenting with different ideas.


Chris: I love how this station is like seeing someone in a crowd in a city you haven’t been in a while and it makes me think: do I know you?

Matt: It has acquired a transcendent identity that makes it familiar because it's generic and relatable, but also because the Atlas parts are still familiar.

All these thoughts are driven by the desire to make something "good" out of a pair of Atlas stations. At this point, I'm pretty sure you will all say I should have scratchbuilt it from styrene and it would have been faster and better. That is absolutely true.

But the other alternative was to throw them away in the garbage bin to free some space because I’ve reached that point in life where cluttered collections no longer make sense. So better recycle nicely molded sidings and roof brackets, do the best I can, save some money and plastic products from waste. I still want however to improve the windows a little bit…

Back to the station, making the roof was an exercise in patience. For some odd reasons, I had the hardest time to find the correct geometry. However, I did some experiment with angled cuts. Theses cuts make mating cardboard edges easier and virtually eliminate gaps and discrepancies. Not very hard to achieve with a hobby blade and saving some extra steps down the road.

I’ve also painted and cut to length an old Atlas brick chimney. It is quite high and may required to be trimmed, but on the other hand, I like that it can tell the storey of a chimney that was lengthened due to poor draft issues. For the foreseeable future, it will stay like that!

For now I only need to reinforce the roof, apply distressed asphalt shingles, fascia, drain pipes and gutters, then call it a day.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I have modified the Atlas station a different way. I cut the roof right off. Take out the vertical muntin bars in the windows, and make the doors as plain as possible. What's left is the base for an International-style station building such as CP erected post-WWII. A flat roof will top the station off.

    Steve Lucas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting way to modernized it, thanks for sharing that other option. I agree the window mullions are a big offender. I will board up the windows with plywood.

      Delete