Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Fall of the Little Giants



Since a few weeks, the Murray Bay Subdivision landscape is radically changing. The old and venerable power line running parallel to the track is coming down after a few years of incertainties.



This line was built by QRL&PCo in the early 1920s to provide power to large industries and towns in Côte-de-Beaupré area (between Montmorency & St. Joachim).



According to 1980 CN videotapes, the towers were given extension to make them taller according to newer safety standards.



Since the power line have existed for almost a century, it has become closely associated with railroading on Côte-de-Beaupré.


 Sure, the broader perspective on the landscape gained from getting rid of theses industrial relics is impressive, but on another hand, I'm well aware this nice four hundred years old rural panorama is destroyed quickly by suburban sprawling and the growth of the most ugly steel warehouses you can imagine. You can't stop progress isn't it! ;-)



Anyway, with the towers laying on their side like slained giants, it was the perfect occasion to take a few measures since I'll have to reproduce a few of them on the layout. I remember, when I was in high school, I scratchbuilt one in HO with toothpick. The result wasn't half bad, unfortunately, I no longer know where I store it!

No comments:

Post a Comment