Monday, May 2, 2016

Montmorency Falls Station - Part 5


Greg asked in the previous Montmorency Falls Station if he could get a copy of this station... but would he still want such a run down station?

That said, I had a lot of fun completing the project.

First, I painted the model with the correct colors as it was when the station was remodeled in the late 1950s.


Then, I fast forwarded to the early 1980s and faded the paint with a coat of diluted dirty white. As you can see, every plywood in windows was masked with tape. The goal is simple, keep the boarding up free of weathering to show the station was closed down relatively after years of gradual disrepair.


Only after that step, it was time to apply the roofing. A few years ago, when I was building Limoilou Station I purchased some black asphalt shingles made by Rusty Stumps. The product is self-adhesive and well-known among modellers. Before installation, I pre-weathered the material with weathering

At first, I wasn't that much convinced by the product, but after a few rows, it was evident it was an excellent option. My only complain is about the ridge caps strips which are weird at best and need some serious trimming to looks good.

Once the roof and chimney were done, the roof was heavily weathered with diluted and full strength oil paint. Now was the time to age the structure further A coat of diluted oil paint was applied to the building. The temptation to overdo the weathering was there, but I kept following the prototype pictures to make sure it wouldn't look like a total wreck..

Here's the result:









6 comments:

  1. I like the follow up from previous post. The color on the station looks fantastic. For a modern day railroad a run down like this would bring a ton of character and story.

    Great job on the station!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! It was a fun and fast build. Indeed, I like how this defunct building brings a lot of history to what looks like a simple modern single track branchline. The first time I saw it was on Tom Johnson's INRAIL layout. He did an amazing job and when I discovered QRL&PCo stations survived well into the early 1980s there was no more reasons not to do it.

      Delete
  2. Matthieu,
    Excellent work on this station, truly superb. The use of the scribed tape may have been a test of patience, but worth it the extra effort.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! I was afraid at first about the tape, but it turned out exactly like the prototype. I think I wouldn't hesitate anymore to go the hard way on a next structure. It pays off.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. Your comments on "not overdoing the weathering" are spot on. It seems more appropriate the way you've done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Indeed, knowing when to refrain is the most important lesson in weathering... often learned the hardway!

      Delete