Thursday, August 12, 2021

Grand Trunk Railway 3D Printed Caboose - Part 2



I'm now the proud (?) owner of an Anycubic Photon Mono X 3D printer... Why I say proud with some irony is because these little beast requires a lot of care to operate, but they yield great results for what they are.



Over the last few days, I refined my original 3D model following advices and examples by Dave Bedard, another Canadian 3D modeller doing a great job with CPR prototypes. I want to thanks him because I was able to better understand how supports work and can enhance the work. Following his example, I broke the model in several parts to ensure better quality prints. Going full monolithic is a recipe for disaster and breaking it doing into a simple but efficient kit is a much better option.



So far, I've completed the upper structure and printed a first test. I can see a few places that can be improved, including grabiron brackets and fitting tolerance between parts. Also, it became quite apparent that modelling some parts true to scale simple means they can hardly be seen. They will need to be slightly scaled up to provide more visual interest. This is a compromise I can live with because what's the deal about details that are barely visible?



The next big step will be completing the 4 bars archbar trucks and breaking the underframe into printable parts. No idea when it will be done, but I hope soon.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I do not have a resin printer but I hope to try some freight cars like this on my plastic-PLA printer.

    Harrison Smith
    https://northcountrytrains.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete