|Rock Island locomotive #2119 prior to its conversion.|
I first thought about converting it into CNR #2191 since the model shared many similarities with CNR M-5-c locomotive class. I stripped the Rock Island numbers and heralds with a screwdriver and started to apply new CNR decals by Microscale.
At some point, I needed more data to complete the tender (which was slightly altered to reflect the prototype). On Model Railroader forum, I asked about tender capacity (water and coal). At this point, Doctorwayne, a gentleman from Ontario, pointed me out that locomotives from N-2-b class were much more closer to the model. Our dicussion can be followed here.
|Tender as modified and repainted to match CNR locomotive #2191.|
After a few thoughts, I finally decided to kitbash the model into locomotive #2500, a N-2-b class engine. This implied major modifications to the tender, redoing almost all the piping on the boiler and scratchbuilding an Elesco feedwater with its water pump.
|Locomotive #2500 as seen in 1959, cnrphotos.com, (2010).|
|Filling holes left by stripped details.|
|Elesco feedwater and handrails added according to CNR practices.|
|Steam locomotive #2500 is ready to compete with my repainted C424.|
|Tender modified according to the prototype.|
|The new water pump made from scratches.|
|Locomotive #2500 photographed with the staff for Christmas Eve.|
|Completed locomotive seen from the engineer side.|
|Completed locomotive seen from the fireman side.|
Using Q-tips and 95% rubbing alcohol, I gently smeared the cracked areas until the paint thinned and flattened. The tender top was a real mess and nothing could be done... paint was stripped.
|Final paint and varnish applied.|
|Painted locomotive seen from the engineer side.|
|Painted locomotive seen from the fireman side.|
|Engine #2500 exiting MLW shops and ready to work on the layout.|
|Locomotive #2500 seen from the tender.|