Friday, September 10, 2021

Switch Stands for Turnouts

 A basic railway detail often overlooked is switch stands. While ubiquitous in real life because you can't really do on a railway without them, they are scarce on layouts. They used to be costly and truth to be told, they can be quite fragile. I've seen a few made of brass, but it can get quickly onerous.


A few months ago, I purchased a dozen of 3D printed switch stands on Shapeways designed by Steve Hunter and found them well designed. I painted and weathered them, but also took care to add turnout numbers on the target just like you can find on prototypes.


Finally, I had a chance to finally install them on the layout two days ago. Yes, they are fragile and would prefer another alternative if possible. I know Rapido made a few ones in plastic but it seems they have the same flaw: they stand in your way when throwing manually a turnout. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't try to operate more turnouts with rods and knobs.


However, these issues aside, they really make a subtle but welcomed difference on the layout. Giving we made a point to keep the color palette subdued, these yellow targets really pop up and add interest.

2 comments:

  1. I have bought Steve Hunters switch stands for my layout as well. They are sitting on my workbench to do pile as I haven't figured out the best way to tackle them. Did you assemble them then prime/paint? I think that's the easiest. I have plenty of experience working with shapeways material, yet for some reason I have been at a wall on actually starting these and doing them.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, better assemble them first then prime. I would also advise, if you are so inclined, to replace the handle with wire. A few of them broke when I installed them on the layout. Sometimes I wish I had seen Jack Burgess' trick of drill a hole, attaching a fish line to them and a weight. Not glued on the layout but standing up due to gravity. If you knock them, they don't break and go back to their original position.

      Delete