Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Bulkhead Flatcar Lumber Wraps Library

Chris van der Heide embarked on a great endeavour: providing means of reproducing prototypically exact lumber loads for bulkhead flatcars. Since the start, I've been impressed by the very interesting way he model the load. Sure it is time consuming, but the result is amazing and it doesn't need outlandish skills to achieve.

Wrapped lumber bundles are a typical sight on many railroads across Canada and United States for at least the last three decades. In this respect, Chris have made printable files of many lumber companies spanning the mid-80s to nowadays and covering many companies small and large. He even give well-written instructions to make your own loads.

Recently, Chris kindly pointed out he found out a new picture on Railroad Picture Archives website displaying a load of Donohue's lumbers. Must I say I was delighted at the idea it was now possible to make truly realistic loads for the layout. But the best surprise was to find out Chris made a PDF file to build it.

My schedule is quite busy recently, but this is now a top project on my list. If I can build it by the end of the year, I'll be more than happy.

Once again, a big thanks to Chris for sharing these treasures with us. He is indeed helping a lot modern era modellers.

2 comments:

  1. Its too bad there weren't more wraps from Quebec in the late 70's to early 80's. I've been using Temrex and Tembec wraps for the most part from the late 2000's for my modules. Its also nice to see the list getting further spread around, as many people have contributed to it as Chris has noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. And older the wraps, the scarcer they are. I was more than surprised when Chris found a late 80s Donohue wrap.

      Delete