Monday, June 27, 2016

Seeking Information about Temiscouata Railway

As I've explained last autumn in my The End of Steel blog about a small layout, I've been exploring the possibility to model the Connors Subdivision on Temiscouata Railway which was nested between Quebec, New Brunswick and Maine borders.

This particular prototype have caught my attention many years ago and I' gradually working on a layout plan that would make the best of the prototype.

While several resources online exists, I exhausted them and I'm know seeking fresh information to make the planning progress.

What I have:

-Some timetables.

-Many locomotive pictures.

-A locomotive roster.

-Pictures of Edmunston and Connors stations.

-Very few rolling stock picture (a business car, a combine, a caboose, some flat cars and one boxcar).

The most interesting spot to model is Connors, a terminus with a turntable and a small engine house. According to pictures, there was a section house, a coal shed, a speeder shed, a freight station, a water tank and a passenger station obviously. I don't know the paint scheme for the building. It varied in time, at first very dark (probably the ubiquitous red oxyde) and later paler (maybe some buff or tan with dark trims). Also, I'm starting to seriously believe the engine house had two stall. It makes sense since 2 trains departed from Connors each morning and a 1890 panoramic view seems to indicate the building is too large to be single stall.

What I need:

I've found almost nothing about the stations and customers between Connors and Edmunston. I have a description of every siding and passing tracks with their lenght, but no indication about their purpose.

I'm aware there was at least one sawmill and there's evidence in Google Earth that a feedmill was rail served at some point. I've seen no picture of stations. Logically, at least Clair and Baker Brook should have been relatively important stops on the subdivision.

Also, it seems almost every bridge on that subdivision was a wood trestle. There was a steel truss bridge, but I have failed to locate it. Maybe it was on the Rivière-du-Loup subdivision.

I'm well aware these informations can only be obtained from local sources at this point. If you have some clues or hints or know a person or an institution that could provide more evidence about this interesting branchline, let me know.

By the way, I'm not in a hurry as the building that will house that layout as yet to be built. However, I prefer to get more information before starting to plan than feel sorry later for overlooking interesting bits of history.

2 comments:

  1. Salut, Matthieu:
    I assume you know about the article in the May, 1980 issue of Railman & Railroad magazine?
    I also wrote about this railway on my Layout Design blog - I think it's a wonderful subject for an achievable layout.
    http://themodelrailwayshow.com/LayoutDesign/?p=3334
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, no I wasn't aware of this article. Now I understand the reference to the cow at Connors in your achievable layout's list of ideas.

      Delete