Friday, March 11, 2022

Hindsight 20/20 Post Mortem

When Hunter Hughson contacted me to present a clinic about my Birtish-American Oil tank car fleet I couldn't help but stress the fact my research was incomplete and amateurish at best. My work was everything but an approximation of the prototype. But he convinced me there was a place for this kind of work at a RPM meet.

My hope was to provide a basic frame of data and a methodology which could be improved as new information is found or completed by much knowledgeable people than I. I must confess I'm not particularly well versed in searching through ORER, car drawings and specialized book.

However, I've quite impressed with the interest this clinic sparked and a few individuals like Mike Schleigh and Jim Little contacted me to provide more data unkown to me. I really want to thanks all of them for their invaluable knowledge as it has put to rest many questions that I felt I couldn't answer.

First, Jim Little was kind enough to provide me with good color pictures of BA tank cars. As I speculated, the green paint was not olive nor dark emerald but a rather standard dark green. Tamiya XF-26 Dark Green seem to be quite close but some experiments will be required to find the "perfect" match if such a thing exist.

Then, Ted Culotta and others suggested I took a look at Southern Car & Foundry STC-built tank car resin kits. While these kits are out of stock, a few can still be found here and there. The most useful ones are the 6k gals. 5 course radial tank car and the 10k gals. tank car.

The clinic hand out available on Hindsight2020 groups.io has been updated to reflect these information.

No comments:

Post a Comment