Tuesday, October 11, 2022

CN Woodchip Cars - Now Available for Pre-Order at Kaslo

You wanted prototypical Canadian woodchip cars? Were desperate my project would never see the light (I was!)? Well, rejoice because Kaslo will soon release both cars in resin. I’m extremely delighted to announce CN 878000 and 879000 series will soon be available on the market. From the private messages exchanged with many of your, I’m well aware the demand for these ubiquitous cars is insanely high and rightly so.

For those interested, both are now up for pre-order on Kaslo website.

 HK-28 (CN 878000-878299)

HK-28 kit (credit: Kaslo)

HK029 (CN 879250-879749)

HK-29 kit (credit: Kaslo)


Almost a decade ago – on June 29, 2014 to be precise – I started designing a prototypical CN woodchip gondola lettered with the seldom used CN Rail logo after looking at old railfanning pictures I shot back in 1998 in Clermont, QC. At that time, our layout was being rebuilt into a proper rendition of CN Murray Bay Subdivision and these cars would be required in great numbers to replicate the flavour of the line.

 

Back then, no manufacturer seemed to feel compelled in producing one of the most iconic Canadian freight cars, one so ubiquitous that any CN layout covering the 1975 to today needs. I even pitched the idea in an email send to a prominent Canadian manufacturer, but it seems from their reply they felt it would garner very little interest from the customers.

 

After many trials and errors, including revisions done as new accurate data reached me, the cars got more prototypical (thought some details will always stay in the grey zone since I didn’t find the blueprints). For a while, I thought seriously about producing these cars myself under the Ste. Anne’s Car Shop label, but it would be a time consuming and costly endeavour I had very little energy to put into it. I was quite happy to see that John Whitmore at Kaslo was interested in bringing these cars to the general public!


I hope you will like them! It was a long journey that could have been faster, but better late than never! Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment