Monday, July 11, 2022

Announcement: Sharing 3D Parts

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to share several of my 3D printed detail parts with all interested modellers. Over the last few years, I've been designing a few parts for my own personal needs but know they could be useful for many others. Recently, I started rebuilding a fleet of generic plastic steam locomotives for a friend and noticed probably many people could be interested in these parts. Also, with the custom detailing part market dwindling at a fast pace, I think providing an alternative is a good option.

As you can see, a new tab has been added in the blog header that will lead to the online shop. This new service will be called Ste. Anne's Car Shop in honor to the original Quebec Railway Light & Power Shops in Ste. Anne de Beaupré, QC where they built their first electric locomotive in the early 20th century.

CNR E-7-a conversion mini kit

I won't sell printed parts, but rather the rights to download the files. Designing parts and making sure they print well takes a lot of time, effort and also resources (resin isn't cheap nor the supplies to keep the machines clean and running). The shop will probably be set up on CGTrader in the next few weeks with a goal to be open for business by August.

CNR E-7-a conversion mini kit (tender)

Parts offered are mainly Canadian National steam locomotives details including vestibule cabs, headlights, tender ladders, etc.

Be aware that most parts are designed from pictures and crude CNR diagram. I rarely have access to original engineering drawings. It means, these parts may lack the precision a rivet counter would want. That said, the are made to fit the intended plastic RTR models, meaning I have to adjust some dimensions so it looks alright once assembled. Also, in the case of headlights, they are made to be direct replacement for their own headlight. 

Also, many fine parts may look a little bit crude. Think of headlights and ladders. I could print them more finely, but there long term solidity under normal handling could be severely affected. The goal was to get sturdy parts and reliable printing. However, I'll probably improve a few parts over the time when I can make them look better.

The first project will include a conversion kit for the popular and versatile HO scale Bachmann Alco 2-6-0. It can be kitbashed easily into a CNR class E locomotive, in particular E-7-a. 

I'm not planning to release full kits since they are time consuming to produce and manage. I prefer to leave that to real professionals. As you know, I've design two CN woodchip cars and a Grand Trunk Railway caboose. I'm glad to report you can expect some very positive announcements about that in the very near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment