Saturday, September 9, 2017

Weathering Intermountain CN Procor Pressure Cars



A while ago, I repainted and relettered a group of 3 Intermountain Procor Pressure Cars and started to weather them according to prototype pictures. Cement is a nasty ladding and these cars generally weather quite badly, which is an effect I wanted to replicate. It meant the weathering process would be long and more complex than usual, but at the end of the day, what's the problem with waiting if the result is there?


Hard to believe I started working on this project about a month ago. The reason is quite simple: thick oil paint coats require a longer drying time. It was also an exercise in patience and instead of rushing the project in a day as I usually do, I took time to do each step at a leisure pace, leaving the models on my office shelf and adding details as I went on.


Once again, the trick is always to break down a complex project in multiple parts that can be done in a reasonable amount of time. Such steps can be fading the paint, altering the lettering, adding patches, rust streak or simply weathering the trucks. I feel this make the weathering process less intimidating and reduce greatly the risk of doing something wrong.


As for the weathering process, nothing new under the sun, I simply applied the usual techniques: weathering powder, PanPastel, oil paint, washes and drybrushing.



4 comments: