Saturday, January 20, 2018

Henri-Bourassa Overpass - Continued


Work on Henri-Bourassa Boulevard overpass continued yesterday and I'm glad to announce the core structure in MDF is now completed. Styrene and wood bits will be added then a good coat of paint will turn it into concrete. It was quite a complicated project due to the weird angles, but I'm overall satisfied.

This is as close as you can be to the prototype

On the other hand, I will have to tore down a lot of scenery I did last year to set the overpass in place. Not that I bother as I can see a lot of improvement in my scenery techniques.


I also built a small concrete block pump house that is located a few feet away from the overpass. Using parts from old Life-Like kits, I put together something that is quite similar to the real thing. Very mundane, but it should help to bring some life in that part of the layout.


Finally, we got our 12 Rapido CN cylindrical hoppers. Once again, very beautiful cars that will bring the layout realism further. Crazy to think all that would have been impossible just a few years ago. Now, it's only a matter of a few months until we can run the CFQ SW1200RS and officially operate the layout in 1993.


2 comments:

  1. A word of caution - if you do any further scenery work within 10 inches of that bridge be sure to remove it from the layout. Any water and that will be the end of those beautiful MDF abutments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor, the bridge will be removable and the abutments are glued to the decking. Scenery will be done, THEN the bridge will be put in place. I once ruined a MDF highway overpass exactly the way you describe... What a mess! BTW, did you get news about the CFQ SW1200RS decals?

      Delete